Wednesday, June 20, 2012

summer solstice heat wave Rx

Yeeesh, Chicago has endured quite the heat wave. My Nordic blood renders me ill-prepared for prolonged stretches of 90-degree temperatures, but we've been making the best of it.

Puttering around in the garden...
My herbs are actually thriving! This is the first time I've successfully grown herbs since we moved to Chicago many moons ago. Turns out we never really had enough sunlight in our outdoor space before.
Grilling out back...
 Sipping iced tea while reading a good book on the front porch...
Making lots of salads, including this delicious zesty tortellini salad (who knew that salami would go well in a salad? yum!)...
Crocheting up a storm...
This wildly stripey diagonal box-stitch baby afghan is blocking -- I'll post  proper photos and full details soon, along with a couple more crochet projects. Cotton yarn is great for the summer, but it's awfully hard on my wrists for knitting. Crocheting seems to be much easier.
----------------------------------------
Other things that are making me happy these days:

my Saltwater Sandals  -- cute and comfy!


Bunheads -- Amy Sherman Palladino's newest show -- not as good as Gilmore Girls, but still entertaining

Miss Potter -- awfully twee, but charming and full of beautiful photography of the English countryside

looking forward to  Lifeline Theatre's adaptation of Pride and Prejudice
 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've also been watching bunheads. (i was a ballerina through high school.) i agree with you about GG, but i'm still enjoying it. hope you're staying cool! i dunked myself in the lake as soon as i got home from campus today!

Anonymous said...

i've also been watching bunheads. (i was a ballerina through high school.) i agree with you about GG, but i'm still enjoying it. hope you're staying cool! i dunked myself in the lake as soon as i got home from campus today!

Anonymous said...

So many gorgeous plants in your yard! Do I see a giant hosta?

Unknown said...

I loe bunheads, I remember Gilmore Girls getting off to a slow start, and the second episode is doing pretty well.

Tracy Altieri said...

Lovely garden! Salami and salad make me think of anti-pasta in the North East! Your crocheted baby blanket looks like it was made to go with your bedspread!

Katie M. said...

Your garden is beautiful! And I am very jealous of that spectacular front porch. I haven't watched Bunheads yet ... but maybe I should? It would certainly keep me out of the heat ...

knitseashore said...

Sounds like you've found some good coping methods! My garden is a little wilty from the heatwave; it's hard to keep up with the watering. Hope yours has fully recovered.

Chris said...

Did the heat break for you? Such a relief when it did here earlier this week... Sounds like you've been keeping busy. :)

Kirstin Anne said...

we live in chicago too!!!