Thursday, July 29, 2010

FO: Multnomah

Kate Flagg published this pattern just after I returned home from visiting Portland and Multnomah County!  It was meant to be...
Pattern: Multnomah by Kate Flagg
Yarn: Impulse of Delight Merino Silk, "Sun Dappled," 1.3 skeins
Needles: Clover US 5 bamboo circs



Notes:
the good
Delightfully easy pattern, and the yarn is great. Nice sheen, lovely shades of green, springy yet a little crisp. It seems more like heavy fingering weight (almost sportweight) rather than light. The color in the first photo, taken out on my wee little balcony, is true.
 
the bad
I don’t love the pattern, actually. Something about the big garter stripe down the middle bugs me, and  the feather-and-fan pattern isn’t incorporated into the design very smoothly (e.g., look at the garter panels between the feather and fan sections and the center stripe). Also, the top of the shawl seems kind of tight because of all the KFBs. Subbing YOs on at least one side might work better. Blocking did help a good deal with the tightness, but it’s still not perfect.  In fact, before I blocked it, I considered ripping the whole darn thing.  I'm glad I didn't, though, as it will be perfect with my brown corduroy coat this fall! Unless that combination makes me look like a tree nymph...

----------------------------------------------
hemlock ring update

10 rows left, plus the bind-off (which I've heard is neverending)!  Huzzah, huzzah.  I'm doing the larger size (beyond the gold line on pattern chart), and I need to wind my 3rd skein of Eco Wool.

9 comments:

Rachael said...

Even so, tree nymphs are full of mystery and allure, it's not a bad thing to look like one.
;-)

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Pretty! Blocking is magic. Enjoy it!

Chris said...

It is pretty, but I can see what you mean about the garter down the middle...

Sharon said...

Hmm, I love the color and didn't notice the band down the middle until you mentioned it, but it is a bit strong. Don't mention it and no one will notice

Jodi said...

test!!

JoAnn said...

Despite the Good & Bad; I think it's very pretty. The shades of green are very nice. I'm glad you didn't frog it.

La Cabeza Grande said...

I was gonna say, what's wrong with a true nymph? Seriously, brown and green is one of my favorite combinations.

Mia said...

I am knitting that pattern too. Okay it is one of many UFOs. I may have to hurry up and finish mine as soon as I finish what started out as Wandering the Moor. I can imagine the drape in your shawl with the silk in the yarn.

You can always put the shawl away to give away later as a gift if you decide you don't love it.

But you are right about the garter not blending into the feather and fan portion.

I have seen this pattern knit up ugly though. Some one in my knit group did it in a really wild variegated bright yarn. Um, ugly anyone?


And I can't wait to see Hemlock all finishsed.

Carrie #K said...

I think the band looks fine and I wish I'd look like a tree nymph! Very pretty! (your shawl, but also your average tree nymph:).