Thursday, May 06, 2010

dispatch from box island

Boxes, boxes everywhere. I listened to an NPR piece about hoarders yesterday while I was packing for our upcoming move, and it hit a little too close to home. Books! Yarn! Cookbooks! Tea! Yikes...
------------------------------------------
What's keeping me sane right now:
- Nightingale Wood, by Stella Gibbons (who wrote Cold Comfort Farm, one of my all-time favorite books and movies). I'm enjoying it, though it's not nearly as witty as CCF. Perfect for the Anglophile, though.

- a new (enormous) crochet project, the so-called "stripy dog blanket" from The Cool Girl's Guide to Crochet (terrible title, dumb cover, but cute patterns). Perhaps a better name would be "stripy human blanket"? ;-)

I'm using six shades of Lion Brand Nature's Choice Organic Cotton -- dusty sage, dusty blue, strawberry, blueberry, almond, walnut, and pistachio. Mmm... doesn't that sound delicious? I love when the strawberry, walnut, and almond colors coincide, as it looks just like Neapolitan ice cream. The yarn is soft and cushy, probably destined to pill, and it's going to be a very heavy blanket. I'm using a J hook, and it's just half double crochet, changing colors every row.

------------------------------------------
in the kitchen:
Peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! You couldn't squeeze too many more good things into those, could you? I found the recipe on someone's blog, but for the life of me I can't find it now. It's adapted from this recipe, with a few variations:

- skip the eggs and substitute 2 T. flax seeds + 6 T. water, stirred together
- add 1 C. chocolate chips at the end

I used all butter rather than 1/2 shortening, as shortening kind of skeeves me out.

A couple more cookie recipes calling out to me:
- white chocolate and pistachio sugar cookies
- hazelnut chocolate chip cookies

9 comments:

Chris said...

Darn those soft but pilly yarns. *sigh*

Sharon said...

Thanks for the tip on Nightingale Wood. I liked Cold Comfort Farm. At your suggestion, I'm trying to switch to Google Reader but haven't found out how to leave a comment. What obvious thing am I missing???

Caffeine Girl said...

Reading is my first love, too! Though knitting has moved up near the top of the list.

Good luck with the move. I absolutely hate moving! I hope yours is smooth. At least you are moving into a beautiful place!

ali@skeinsherway said...

Maybe I should work on a blanket like that to use up my random skeins of cotton...!

Katie M. said...

That blanket sounds more like ice cream! Good luck keeping up with the boxes.

Keya said...

A few months ago there was a knitter who was on that show where the psychiatrist makes horders give away all of their stuff. It was gruesome! The poor woman could only keep 3 pair of knitting needles from her collection--who can knit with only 3 pair of needles?!--and literally ALL of her stash was thrown away. I say, a woman can never have too many needles or a stash too large! Thank goodness for stackable plastic boxes and bins!

Jodi said...

testing blogger comments

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mia said...

Yarn is much much more. It acts as fun and comfort. You are not a hoarder!!ounat