Sunday, April 25, 2010

things that are making me happy on this sunny Thursday

Looking forward to this Smiths/Morrissey tribute show at the Abbey Pub tonight...
-----------------------------------------
As much as I love knitting and crocheting, I'm never happier than when I'm reading a good book. First loves... they stick with you.


Firmin, by Sam Savage

Absolutely creative, thoughtful, and delightful. Though the narrator is a rat, it's not a children's book, for sure. Firmin is jam-packed with literary references, word play, imagination, musings on life, both human and rodent. From the very beginning, where Firmin "Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins", I could tell this was going to be a great book.

The premise of the book -- a rat is born in a Boston bookstore and grows up devouring books, both literally and metaphorically -- had the potential to be cloying and annoying, but turns out completely otherwise. While a heart-wrenching read, but Firmin also celebrates the power of literature and imagination even when you're down and out.

-----------------------------------------


Ciao Bella pistachio gelato. Yum! It may not quite compare to my favorite gelato stand in the sun-dappled Monteverde neighborhood on the Janiculum, but it's pretty darn good.

-----------------------------------------

P.S. The Summer 2010 Interweave Knits preview is now available. Meh. Maybe the Buttercream Jacket, but that's about it for me. That said, summer issues of knitting magazines rarely do much for me.

7 comments:

peaknits said...

omg, pistachio gelato - off to Trader Joe's!

Chris said...

Have fun at the tribute!!

Katie M. said...

You know, I was just thinking that this summer I wanted to get back to reading fiction for pleasure. I'm sure you know the feeling: outside of what I have to read for school, it can be hard to find the time -- or interest -- for new stuff (heck, it can be hard to find time and interest for the stuff I have to read) ... but you're right: first loves stay with you.

La Cabeza Grande said...

I, too, have my favorite pistachio gelato joint: Vivoli in Florence. Nom-nom-nom.

Thanks for the book review. Hopefully, I will be able to hold books without discomfort after I recouperate from shoulder surgery. I have much catching up to do.

Enjoy The Smiths / Morrisey tribute.

Sharon said...

Archie and Mehitabel meet ice cream? Better yet, mice cream??

knitseashore said...

I am totally jealous that you get to see the Smiths tribute. My husband and I are going through a major phase right now...

On the summer IK, I completely agree. I usually like summer issues because of the pastel/light colored yarns and the lacy items, but this doesn't even look like a summer issue. I like the Beach House pullover OK, but that probably has to do with the name more than anything.

Mia said...

Try the Ciao Bella sorbets. Blood orange and blackberry are my favorites!