Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Francis Revisited

Francis Revisited is knitting up oh so quickly! Just the cowl left to go! Great pattern, very easy to follow. I was afraid that the fit wouldn't be very good since all the directions are just so darn simple. My worrying was needless, as it looks good so far, although we'll have to see what blocking does. I know it will grow widthwise. That Eco Wool is great stuff -- affordable, natural, and easy on the hands and wrists. The "Vanilla" shade I used for the Hap Blanket is much softer than the "Mocha" shade here. Curious!

recent reads

The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets, by Eva Rice
A charming book about a young woman coming of age in 1950s London. Rock & roll, a moldering estate her family can't afford, a spot of romance... I enjoyed the narrative voice, and the time period was a welcome change. I often read books written during the period between the wars or set during that time.




The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, by Alan Bradley
Precocious Flavia de Luce (once again growing up in a moldering country estate her family can't afford) finds a man dying in her backyard. She aims to get to the bottom of the case, armed with a keen mind, a penchant for chemistry, and a desire to figure out her father's past.

I highly recommend both!

No comments: