Wednesday, July 15, 2009

homecoming

I'm back from a whirlwind trip to Minnesota. Some highlights...
- spending time up north on Roosevelt Lake (NW of L. Mille Lacs)
- visiting a new cidery in Stockholm, WI -- Maiden Rock Cidery. Their Honeycrisp hard cider is delicious!
- seeing Public Enemies -- the scenes of Billie's apt. along the El tracks were shot in my back alley! I enjoyed the movie; that Johnny Depp can really act. It's a pretty straight portrayal -- not overly stylized, as many gangster movies are.

Strangely enough, I didn't knit much on my trip. Staying at my parents' house causes me to revert back to my teenage self -- lots of reading and listening to the Smiths.
-----------------------------------------------
moderne log cabin blanket mosaic

Pattern: Moderne Baby Blanket by Kay Gardiner and Ann Shayne
Needles: Clover US 8 bamboo circs
Yarn: Mission Falls 1824 Cotton, many skeins
(305 lemongrass, 207 chili, 102 ivory, 400 fog, 209 maize, 401 chicory, 403 sky)

Notes: Great pattern - very fun and easy to knit. It's a yarn-eater, so be forewarned. I started off using leftover skeins, so I didn't follow the number of rows in the pattern -- I just knit until I ran out of yarn or thought it looked good. This blanket was a great opportunity to play with color. I hate doing actual colorwork, so this was perfect for me. Mission Falls is great to work with -- not too much wrist/hand fatigue considering that it's 100% cotton.

Time to pop this in the mail to Colorado!
-----------------------------------------------
My cousin adopted a new cat while I was home last week. Such a cutie. See those paws?
Yep, he's polydactyl. He looks like he's wearing big mittens. :-)
-----------------------------------------------
The Hap Blanket is almost done... I'm still loving the Eco Wool.
We've reached the amorphous blob stage where it's all bunched up on the circular needles.
-----------------------------------------------
In the kitchen
I whipped up a Lemony Zucchini Goat Cheese pizza for dinner last night. Yum! I substituted thyme for basil, and I added a sprinkling of shredded Parmesan. Next time I'd cut back on the lemon juice a bit. I used Smitten Kitchen's simplest pizza dough recipe, too, but I made it in the breadmaker on the "dough" setting, which worked perfectly.

No comments: